Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Beginning of My Blogging Journey (sort of)

About two years ago, I started looking into blogging tools, and using them for delivering content to my students in online classes, but I didn't have the courage yet to post my own personal thoughts about teaching and learning out on the web. Even though the "digital natives" have no trouble plastering their personal thoughts all over My Space and Face Book, I think this shyness about journaling on the web is more prevalent in my "older" generation.

On the other hand, I believe that the read-write web has opened up the world of knowledge like nothing has ever done before. It has been fascinating to watch the evolution of personal blogging and the exponential growth of this global virtual community over the past decade. I've been encouraged to find other like-minded teachers who are sharing their thoughts and ideas on the web. I have spent many hours reading and enjoying the insights of prolific EduBloggers such as Scott McLeod (Dangerously Irrelevant), Will Richardson. (WebLogg-ed) and Michele Roy Martin (The Bamboo Project).

Finally, I was inspired to put my own musings about education in blog-form by a colleague at Edmonds CC, Andy Williams. During a recent workshop on learning communities, we discussed blogging as a community of like-minded educators who see the world of education evolving into something open and wonderful for ourselves and our students. I figured if Andy could take the plunge and started a blog, so could I!

I hope that this blog will become a way for me to catalog my own knowledge journey and contribute to the learning community as well.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Wonderful! Yes, if Andy can do it, so can anyone else!

injenuity said...

Michele recommended your blog. Welcome to "the network." If you follow me on Twitter, you can add the people I follow and your world will never be the same! On Twitter I'm injenuity I blog at http://injenuity.com